Monday, 17 October 2011
Spicy Sweet Potato and Butternut Squash Soup - Recipe
It's not very often that I make soup, but when your poorly and it's cold there is nothing better than a big bowl of piping hot soup and crusty bread. This soup really will clear your sinuses as it's a little bit spicy! Unfortunately one of us couldn't finish his bowl of soup as it was too spicy.... To tame this down a bit just simply add less spice or more butter milk.
It's really simple to make too... just five steps!
175g Sweet potato
175g Butternut squash
750ml Chicken Stock (Vegetable stock if you prefer)
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon of ginger
pinch of pepper
Tablespoon of buttermilk
The above measurements for the sweet potato are a rough estimate don't go wasting any trying to get the exact measurements!
1. Peel and dice the sweet potato and butternut squash in to cubes(ish).
2. Put the diced butternut and sweet potato in a saucepan with the hot chicken or vegetable stock along with the spices... just add a little at a time if you're unsure you can always add more later.
3. Let it get to boiling point and then simmer for 15 minutes, until your vegetables are soft.
4. If you have a hand blender great. I don't it broke. Blend your soup with your hand blender or big blender... be careful not to let it explode everywhere... Keep blending it until it's soup like.
5. Pour in to two bowls and swizzle in your buttermilk.
Too simple? Make your own bread!?